Clare Public Participation Network wishes to recruit an experienced Office and Communications Manager (Part-Time)
Having been successfully established over the last three years Clare Public Participation Network is restructuring to assist with its further development. As a result Clare PPN now invites applications from positive, motivated and suitably qualified candidates for the above named role. This varied, challenging and responsible position will be part time 21 hours per week and the salary will be set at the first point of Local Authority Staff Officer Grade 5 (€41,213) pro-rata. This position will initially be offered for a 9 month contract with continuation after that point subject to successful completion of a six month probation period and the continuation of funding. It will be based in Ennis but may involve travel to all regions of County Clare and occasionally elsewhere. Evening and weekend work will be a feature of this position and candidates should take this into account when applying. Clare PPN will strive to provide a flexible working environment where possible.
Public Participation Networks were set up in each Local Authority area in Ireland as part of the Local Government Reform Act 2014. Clare Public Participation Network is an organisation of community and voluntary, environmental and social inclusion groups based in Clare. The network is funded jointly by the Department of Rural and Community Development and Clare County Council but is managed and directed by an elected nine person secretariat all of whom are members of community groups based in County Clare.
Clare PPN’s primary purpose is to provide for the formal participation of its member groups in local government decision making processes and forums. It also seeks to organise and offer training for its member groups which will strengthen and increase the variety of capacities and skills within the network and the county. Through its social media, website and newsletters Clare PPN acts as a hub for information for its member groups and the wider public. Clare PPN works from a human rights perspective towards social inclusion and environmental sustainability. Clare PPN is an equal opportunities organisation and welcomes applications from people of diverse backgrounds and abilities who meet the requirements of the position.
Objectives of this post:
The Office and Communications Manager for Clare PPN will be a self-starter who is able to take responsibility for all administrative and organisational aspects of Clare PPN. They will ensure that the organisation is financially sustainable and meets the highest levels of financial accountability towards its members and funders. They will ensure that Clare PPN has all essential policies in place and is compliant with all relevant legal requirements. They will assist the Secretariat of Clare PPN where required. They will prepare and administer an annual schedule of meetings and will assist with the organisation of public events and elections. They will be responsible for the maintenance of a database of members and for data protection of same. They will be responsible for the timely circulation of consultations and notices to the network and,in collaboration with Clare PPN’s Coordinator they will assist with the development of the organisation and with member engagement. Clare PPN is seeking a candidate who has a real interest in helping to sustain and grow a vibrant participative democracy in the County.
Duties will include the following:
- Accounting and financial management of Clare PPN.
- Managing payroll and travel and subsistence claims.
- Maintaining membership records and database.
- Providing reports to Clare PPN’s members, Clare County Council and the Department of Rural and Community Development.
- Ensuring that Clare PPN is fully compliant with all legislative and governance obligations.
- Ensuring that Clare PPN has in place transparent, democratic procedures for all its functions and activities.
- Assisting in the development and implementation of progressive methods of facilitating participation by civil society in policy making.
- Managing communications including newsletter, social media and mainstream media.
- Maintaining an up to date website for Clare PPN.
- Dealing with members’ queries.
- Providing administrative support to Clare PPN secretariat and representatives as required.
- Providing administrative support to Clare PPN’s Coordinator as required.
- Event and project management.
- Representing Clare PPN at external events and or meetings.
- Collaborating with other community and voluntary organisations in Clare to make best use of the organisation’s resources/
- Leasing with Local Authority, Government and other state agencies as required.
Essential Skills / Qualifications:
- Candidates must have a high level of spoken and written English.
- Candidates must have a full clean driving license and use of a car.
- Candidates must have three or more years of experience in office management in the community and voluntary sector.
- Candidates must hold a recognised qualification in accounting/ bookkeeping.
- Candidates must be able to demonstrate a high level of IT skills including Microsoft Office, Social Media, WordPress and use of online consultancy and networking technology.
- Candidates must have a high level of communications skills and experience with report writing, media releases and creating online content.
Experience or qualifications in any of the following areas would be advantageous:
- Rural or community development
- Politics and local government
- Working effectively with marginalised communities
- Environmental sustainability
- Communications and media
- Group facilitation
- Public relations
- Social enterprise
How to apply:
Please send a two page CV detailing how you meet the above requirements and a letter of application to: email@example.com on or before February 16th 2018.